Born: March 13, 1983
Birthplace: Fountain Valley, CA – USA
Fight Weight: 145 lbs Featherweight division
Nam began training martial arts at 8yrs old under Grandmaster Ha Quoc Huy. He trained Quyen Dao (a Vietnamese martial art) for 9 years and earned his black belt at age 17.
In 2000, Nam started Brazilian jiu jitsu under Carlson Gracie Black Belt – Franco De Camargo. He studied for 5 years with Sensei Franco before moving on to train with Marciol Feitosa at Gracie Barra. Over time, Nam began to slowly move away from Gi jiu jitsu and in 2005, solely devoted his training to No Gi JJ. At this time Nam met friend, mentor, and coach Jeremy Williams, where he trained full time at Apex Jiu Jitsu; until his tragic death in May 2007.
Nam continues to train No Gi JJ at Nam Phan MMA, as well as Subfighter Gym with Rick Estrada, Russ Muira, and Adam Lynn at Laguna Hills, CA.
To become more versatile, Nam began boxing as well. He started in 2004, and his amateur record is 5-3. He became a professional boxer in 2006 and currently holds a pro record of 3-0. He trains under Art James of Team PunchOut of Anaheim, CA.
Nam’s well rounded MMA skills also include a wrestling component. He began in his early high school days when he was on the Rancho Alamito wrestling team in Garden Grove, CA. He was a league champion and CIF finalist. Nam also wrestled for Golden West College in 2002. In addition to BJJ, boxing, and wrestling, Nam also trains Muay Thai kickboxing under Master Fumi Fujimoto.
- Nam earned his BJJ Blue Belt from Franco De Carmago
- Nam earned his BJJ Purple Belt from Marciol Feitosa
- Nam earned his BJJ Brown Belt from Rick Estrada
- Nam earned his BJJ Black Belt from Rick Estrada
- Favorite color: Red
- Loves to compete in amateur No Gi Jiu Jitsu tournaments that are organized & efficient
- The youngest of three brothers (Oldest brother Tan, middle brother Khanh)
- Favorite MMA fighters: Kazushi Sakuraba, Genki Sudo, Rumina Sato, Murillo Bustamante, Yushin Okami, Sergei Kharitonov, Adam Lynn, Russ Muira, and the late Jeremy Williams
- Favorite BJJ Fighters: Marcelo Garcia, Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro, Leo Viera, Ronaldo “Jacare” de Souza, Damian Maia, Rick Estrada, Russ Muira, and Murilo Bustamante
- Favorite kickboxer is Masato Kobayashi
- Favorite music: R&B, Techno/Trance, 80s, and Hip Hop
- Loves milk chocolate
- Loves The Venture Brothers on AdultSwim
- Enjoys surfing although he’s working on being a better swimmer!
- Favorite foods that are bad for him: New York style pizza, fried chicken from Popeye’s/Church’s, and Tommy’s chili fries
- Favorite restaurant: Pho 79 in Westminster, CA
For Private or Group Session please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org